Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sherlock Holmes

If you've ever read any of the Sherlock Holmes novels, I'm sure you recall Watson always complaining about Holmes needing to have something to preoccupy his mind. Watson relates that if Holmes isn't pursuing some new lead on a fantastical case, his mind becomes so bored that the only cure is the needle (some drug). No matter what he could do to further himself, he finds mundane tasks a bore and decides instead to drown his sorrows in the wonders of drugs.

Now I'd like to, first of all, state that my mental capacities are no match for Sherlock Holmes. However, I would like to say that I find myself in Holmes' situation on certain occasions. I have a lot of simple, sometimes boring things to do as far as practicing my trombone and fixing the house (not to mention studying for my upcoming ASE tests). So I get bored simply hashing away at the same ol' things day after day, and I want some form of new exciting adventure. Obviously I can't and don't want to do drugs, but there are other things and situations I've been in that are just plain unsavory. I find that people are the most interesting things on this earth, and in my quest for new, it sometimes puts me in quite the pickle. As far as my reading goes in the series of Sherlock Holmes novels, he never quite gets over his vice. I hope to. I suppose I just find it a hard pill to swallow what Solomon said, "There's nothing new under the sun."

No comments:

Post a Comment