Sunday, February 14, 2010

Why Do We Do What We Do?

I've recently took up listening to Country and Western music. In the past I've always shied away from it because I thought that it was cheesy and lacked the intricacies that other genres contained. Essentially, I chocked it up as a waste of my time. However, I'm learning more about myself and the world around me. In the past, I've never really felt a conviction towards the types of music that I play for a living. Not to say that I don't enjoy the music I play, but just that it doesn't have a deepness to it. You must understand that this realization has been hard for me to confront, but I'm trying to be more and more truthful with myself, and I'd like to have convictions for all the endeavors I undergo. In my limited experience, Country music contains something that most others don't: Life experiences. When I listen to the stories told be these musicians (older recordings mostly), I find that they pour their hearts out beyond anything that most people would be comfortable doing (especially men). Albeit, most the songs that I've listened to don't have screaming trumpet lines, or crazy guitar solos, but these songs contain (in my opinion) the essence of what music should be. I've realised that with music (not just Country and Western), one can really tell how they feel. It doesn't have to be about releases of notes, or intonation, or even how many beats per measure. True music (as I'm coming to realise) is a spiritual connection that transcends anything that any person can Analise or write down. Its a way to tell your story, even if nobody listens. If you were to ask me what the purpose of music was... I don't think that I could tell you at this point (there just might be too many purposes). But I do know that true music should always be motivated by our life experiences, and it should tell our story... even if the song wasn't written by us. We may all be human, but music can make us individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment