Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Present

My Grandpa taught me many things and told me many stories. He was by no means perfect, and I think that it makes his lessons all the more real. He was a man just like myself. Torn, tattered, and well worn. He told me a secret when he was in his late 80's. Everyday he woke up in the morning, he saw a present sitting on the edge of his bed. It was specially made just for him. Beautiful wrapping paper and a big red ribbon. As he carefully unwrapped his present, he found a wonderful gift inside waiting for him. It was his day. Every day that was given to him by God was another gift to be unwrapped and cherished. It deserved respect. The gift was a rare thing he told me, especially at his age. Because he didn't know if he would get another one, he valued it that much more. This really made an impact on me. We waste so much of our time and act like we'll never run out of it. The Bible teaches us to redeem our time. And my Grandpa taught me to as well. I hope you'll do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment