Sunday, January 16, 2011

Old Swedish Proverbs.

I've been thinking recently that blessings are of utmost importance in life. Jesus himself told us to bless, not curse. And yet, our lives are filled with so many curses. I would like to dig into my Swedish roots a little and highlight a few old Swedish proverbs. I hope you enjoy them.

"Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it."

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours."

"Eyes that do not cry, do not see."

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm."

"What breaks in a moment may take many years to mend."

"If you buy what you don't need, you steal from yourself."

"A life without love is like a year without summer."

"Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water."

"Don't let your sorrow come higher than your knees."

"The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected."

"Sweep first before your own door, before you sweep the doorsteps of your neighbours."

"When a blind man carries a lame man, both go forward."

"Wisdom is in the head, not in the beard."

"One should go invited to a friend in good fortune, and uninvited in misfortune."

"No one becomes a good doctor until he fills a churchyard."

"Worry gives a small thing a big shadow."

I hope you can use these in your own life, and maybe bless someone else's by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment