Thursday, January 27, 2011

8-Track

Last week we had a Master Chief of some importance visit the band hall. He came to check us out, give us encouragement, and ask if everything was sufficient. The discussion ranged over a few large topic items such as the U.S.S. Enterprise's situation, and the repealing of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. During our "conversation" he changed subjects to becoming more modernized in our thinking. He related it to the difference between owning an Apple Ipod, or an 8-track player. We did a raise of hands for who owned either. Everyone but myself owned an Ipod. And of course, I raised my hand for owning an 8-track player (he was very surprised). He said that our possession of new electronic gizmos was a clear giveaway whether or not we were in touch with modern times. At the time I laughed about being the only person in the room (out of 50 plus people) who owned an 8-track player, but over the course of a week I've become saddened by how fickle our country has become. We're about the new. Now, there is nothing wrong with these things in their proper place, but blown out of proportion, they control us. The world is more than the latest thing. Instead of cherishing and passing on to future generations what have been important in our lives, we've trading them for the newest gizmo. And as I've just discussed, this permeates the military as well as our personal lives (of course, in my opinion, everything permeates everything). Its disheartening to me that we don't cherish what we have anymore. I don't think I'll be able to change the Navy; but who knows? All I know is that by the living of my life, and the influence I have on others through my example and my conversations, I am making a difference. I think I'll hold on to my 8-tracks for a while longer. The music sounds good on them, and I save a lot of money by not "updating" to new gizmos. Maybe someday I'll pass them on to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment