Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Main Character.

The Bible says that without a vision, the people perish. So here's a vision for myself. A lot, if not most people that I run into would (at least in some form) like to gain exceeding riches, become famous, or just be somebody that everyone looks at with envy. Obviously this is a very broad claim and I'm sure that there are a lot of variances within, but just stick with me and it'll make sense. I wanted it to a degree for some time as well (and may still in some way that I'm not aware of), but I'm starting to realize where true virtue for my life lies. There's a Super Nintendo game that I'm very fond of called Earthbound. You start with a main character named Ness. After you progress you collect three other companions in your travels throughout the game. I always imagined myself as Ness, and the other companions as my family or friends. Surely though, I was the main person in the game. Heck, why not right? I'm playing it after all. As time has passed however, I've realised that I'm more like one of the sub characters named Jeff. He is the nerd in the group, doesn't have many powers, and has to rely on items to get along in the game with some form of power. However, when the rest of the party is asleep he fixes different things that you wouldn't be able to complete the game without. Nobody sees him do his work, and yet it is instrumental in the mastery of the game. He may very well be the most important character in the game, unbeknownst of course to the rest of the party. After thinking about this for some time I've realised that his form of achievement is the same that I would like to accomplish in my life. While everybody struggles for the spotlight in life, there are people unknown to the world that make achievement possible for others, and without those people doing their part the main characters just wouldn't matter. I find virtue in the fact that I can be the muscle that moves the arm, while the others, while they have an important role as well, are just the epidermis. In short, I'd rather be Dr. Light than Mega Man. G'nite!

2 comments:

  1. Everyone has their role to play, very few get to be the main character. Is Jeff the one in the game that blurts out just the right thing to bust a room into a laughing fit? The comedy relief to counter growing tention and uneasy moments? If so, that's you! I think sidekicks everywhere can be proud to know that without them the hero would be zero.

    Example: Penny from Inspector Gadget! That's you, you're Penny XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interesting thing is we all end up as Protoman more often than not.

    ReplyDelete