Thursday, June 30, 2016

Taking Care of Each Other

Recently, a white board was posted on the back wall of the shop. It tracks daily hours turned for each mechanic. While this may seem like an effective way of tracking hours, it actually serves to pit us against each other. I believe that management knows this, and seeks to egg us on, as if that's going to make us more productive. Unfortunately, it's a well known fact that a disgruntled employee is essentially good for nothing.

While speaking with one of my co-workers, it was told to me that the management seeks individuals who are in debt. The reason being is so that they work harder to pay off the debt. It truth, it creates a hostile work environment; and if the work doesn't materialize, gossip starts, and friendships are ruined.

These few recent experiences have got me thinking about the importance of the golden rule. It seems that more and more people are looking to take care of themselves, and whoever gets in the way of progress is steamrolled right over. But while this may seem immediately effective, longterm success is hampered (or dissolved) and people end up hating each other. I understand that we all have to make a living, but what is life without relationships. Please understand that I don't mean to complain. I just wish that people with more clout than myself would use it to better other's situations instead of bolstering their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment